Route Sales Representative Job Opening
Route Sales Representative
Smithfield Foods• Florence, Kentucky
A great job-and a great future-awaits you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and hog producer, we’re a $15-billion global food company with more than 52,000 employees. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
What we offer:
- Competitive pay and benefits among the best in the industry
- A variety of career paths, including:
- Direct Store Delivery
- Quality Assurance/Food Safety
- Hog Procurement
- Opportunities for career growth
- Tuition assistance
Are you an ambitious, multi-tasker who can solve problems in a fast-paced environment that loves BACON? Then you should join us in growing one of America’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
The Supply Chain team is looking for motivated professionals to facilitate the distribution of our great products to customers and consumers. These personnel can analyze production metrics against market needs in Supply & Demand Planning, focus on product transportation through Logistics, or ensure the shelves of your local grocery store are stocked by Direct Store Delivery.
The Direct Store Delivery (DSD) Route Sales Representative sells food products such as processed meats, cheeses, poultry, and meats to retail food stores, wholesale grocers, restaurants, hotels or institutions.
- Compiles lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from local management, newspapers, business directories and other sources.
- Travels through assigned territory in Company route truck to call on regular and prospective customers to solicit and deliver orders - route may require overnight travel.
- Displays or demonstrates product, using samples and emphasizes salable features.
- Quotes prices and credit terms and prepares sales invoices for orders obtained and collects cash or checks for prior sales.
- Delivers products to customer, stocks retail cases and rotates inventory in customers coolers as required.
- Prepares end of day reports of business transactions, places future orders for sales, prepares deposit slips for cash and checks collected, reviews days sales and informs local management on any unresolved issues or opportunities.
- Maintains daily Department of Transportation reports i.e. Daily Trip Report and Time Logs and provides to local management as required.
- Maintains daily truck inventory and does weekly physical inventory and reports any variations to local management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma/GED, required.
- A valid Driver's License required and a valid CDL-B Driver’s License will be required within 90 days of start date.
- Federal Regulations require individuals in this position to be 21 years of age.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal or schedule form.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages and volume.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organizations.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Job Type: Full-time
- Route Sales: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- United States (Required)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Employee discounts